
Hood River's Hidden Gem: Sunset Motel's Unbelievable Views!
Sunset Motel in Hood River: Views That Will Absolutely Blow Your Socks Off (And Maybe Your Budget a Little… But Worth It!)
Okay, let's be real. Planning a trip, especially to a place as gorgeous as Hood River, Oregon, is stressful. Finding the right hotel that balances amazing views, a decent price (because, let's face it, we aren't all trust fund babies), and all the little things that make a vacation actually enjoyable… well, that's a quest. But I think I've found it. I'm talking sunshine and rainbows, folks: Sunset Motel. And let me tell you, it lived up to the hype, and then some.
First impressions? The views are absolutely the star. They actually are unbelievable. I mean, seriously, you step out onto your balcony (yes, balcony!) and prepare to have your jaw wired open. The Columbia River Gorge sprawls before you, a tapestry of water, mountains, and sky that will steal your breath. Seriously, I spent a solid hour just…staring. Forget your phone, forget the world. Just…look. (And, bonus, I got a ton of likes on Instagram. Score!)
SEO Buzzwords to Get You Noticed: Hood River hotels, Sunset Motel, Columbia River Gorge views, Oregon getaways, family-friendly hotels, pet-friendly hotels, accessible hotels, free Wi-Fi Hood River, hotel with a pool, spa in Hood River, romantic getaway Oregon
The Good, The Bad, and The (Comically) Ugly:
- Accessibility: Now, I didn't need a wheelchair accessible room or anything, but I did get a peek at some of the setup. The motel seemed genuinely committed to accessibility, which is fantastic. (Elevators, ramps, the whole shebang. They've got it covered! Kudos to the team!). They had some really solid facilities for disabled guests too, which is always a plus!
- Internet Access: Let's be honest, in this day and age, Wi-Fi is practically a human right. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Check. And it actually works! I didn't experience any buffering nightmares, which is a miracle these days. They also have Internet access – LAN if you're so inclined…but honestly, who wants to be tethered to wires on vacation?
- Rooms: My room? Clean. Spotless, even. They've clearly got a handle on Cleanliness and safety, thank goodness. The rooms sanitized between stays, I’m guessing – it smelled fresh and the linens felt crisp. I loved having a desk and a laptop workspace to sort of pretend I was being productive between gorge-gazing sessions. The blackout curtains were a godsend for sleeping in (because, you know, vacation). And the extra-long bed? Bliss. The air conditioning was a lifesaver those sunny days too!
- Food & Drink: Alright, this is where it veered into the slightly less-than-perfect for me, but it wasn't all bad. They offer Breakfast [buffet]. It was a… breakfast buffet. Let's just say it filled a hole. It was sufficient and okay. They had a coffee/tea in restaurant but I needed a strong coffee to kick-start my day, and the offering was just alright. They do, however, provide bottle of water and essential condiments in the rooms, which is nice.
- Things to do: The main thing to do is do nothing (but stare at the views). Seriously. Just breathe it in, people. But, if you're feeling ambitious, there's more. They a cool Swimming pool [outdoor] complete with that gorge view (yes, really. I’m still dreaming to be honest). They also have a Fitness center, which I didn’t venture into on our trip, but it looked decent.
- Services and Conveniences: Daily housekeeping was a sweet relief. Waking up to a cleanly made bed and a fresh bathroom…luxury. Complimentary tea, which I loved. They also had facilities for disabled guests. The car park [free of charge] was a huge bonus, saved me some serious parking fees.
- Dining, drinking, and snacking: There is a Poolside bar which I did get way too friendly with.
- Safety and Security: Felt safe, which is a huge plus. The 24-hour front desk gives you that peace of mind, and I saw plenty of security [24-hour].
The Hidden Gems (and My Personal Favorites):
- That Balcony, Baby: Seriously, it bears repeating. The balcony is where the magic happens. Morning coffee, evening wine, staring at the stars – it's all worth it.
- The Staff: Sweet as pie! Always friendly, helpful, and ready to offer a local tip. They truly made me feel welcome.
The Tiny Gripes (Because No Place is Perfect):
- The breakfast buffet, mentioned above. It could be better.
- I only had time for a massage at the Spa, which was the best experience!
My Emotional Verdict:
Look, I'm a sucker for a good view. And the Sunset Motel has amazing views. I'm already itching to go back and I’ll tell you what, they really made the experience. This place is worth way more than what you pay for.
Sunset Motel's Unbelievable Views: Your Hook-Up for the Gorge
(Here's the deal, and I'm not kidding. It's a good deal.)
- The Offer: Book your stay at the Sunset Motel directly through their website and get a 15% discount and a welcome gift basket filled with local goodies and a voucher for a sunset cocktail at their poolside bar!
- Why It's Killer: You save money, you get free stuff, and you're guaranteed a fantastic time. It's a win-win-win!
Don't wait! Book your trip and experience the magic for yourself!
Luxury Living Awaits: Tennys Place Apartments, Garki, Nigeria
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average, perfectly-ironed travel guide. We're going to Hood River, Oregon, and more specifically, the somewhat… vintage charm of the Sunset Motel. This is gonna be less "smooth sailing" and more "attempting to navigate a inflatable raft down a class 4 rapid."
Sunset Motel Hood River: A Hot Mess (and I mean that in the best way)
Day 1: Arrival & Initial Panic (aka "Where Did I Park?")
- 1:00 PM: Arrive at PDX (Portland International Airport). This is where the adventure truly begins, with the classic "Is my suitcase actually on this carousel?" anxiety. Fortunately, yes. Disaster Averted!
- 2:30 PM: Rental car pickup: A tiny, slightly dented sedan that smells vaguely of stale French fries. Perfect. My map-reading skills are… questionable, let’s just say. I'm already convinced I'm going to end up in Canada.
- 4:00 PM: Arrival at the Sunset Motel. Okay, first impression… it’s cute. Like, "grandma's house meets roadside motel" cute. The sign is a bit faded, a testament to the good old days, and the parking lot… well, it's a bit of a free-for-all. After circling three times, a spot miraculously opens up. Victory!
- 4:15 PM: Check-in. The front desk guy (let's call him Gary, because he looks like a Gary) is super friendly, but the keys definitely don’t work the first time. Gary has to come out and jiggle the lock. Ah, the sweet promise of a motel stay.
- 4:30 PM: Find the room. Luggage hauling. It's a real workout. My room, in all its glory, is the "Lake View," which, after opening the curtains, is revealed to be the side of a busy parking lot, but oh well. I can hear the rushing of the wind so close from the window. That's Hood River for you. It's all the details!
- 5:00 PM: Unpack (sort of). The tiny closet is a challenge, but I'm resourceful.
- 5:30 PM: Time to explore! My first craving is food, so I am off!
Day 1: Food Glorious Food and A Touch of Wind (aka "Did I Pack My Asthma Inhaler?")
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at a local restaurant. Deciding where to eat is the first challenge, since the internet isn't working here and I'm off the grid (literally and figuratively). It's a gamble and I went for the "Waterfront Restaurant". The food is great, but I'm immediately overwhelmed by the number of people.
- 7:30 PM: Evening walk. Hood River is windy, people. Like, "hold onto your hat, Dorothy!" windy. The view of the gorge is breathtaking. The wind whips my hair everywhere. I try to imagine the amount of windsurfers around, it must be a fantastic sport to watch.
- 8:30 PM: Back to the motel. I get a little scared as I see the key might not work still. It did. All is well!
- 9:00 PM: Attempt to watch TV. The channels are fuzzy. Apparently, the Sunset Motel is not a bastion of high-definition entertainment. I fall asleep watching the weirdest show about cheese.
- 10:00 PM: Goodnight!
Day 2: Water Sports and Windblown Revelations (aka "I'm Probably Going To Fall")
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. That's the day I would have a nice breakfast, at a charming restaurant. The reviews were good. This is the truth.
- 9:00 AM: After a nice breakfast, I go windsurfing! I'm really bad at it, and I spent more time in the water than on the board. I might have swallowed half the Columbia River.
- 12:00 PM: Nap. I was really exhausted.
- 2:00 PM: Time to try again! This time I didn't fall as much, and I felt a little more confident.
- 4:00 PM: Visit to the fruit farms. Hood River is known for its orchards. I got a ridiculous amount of apples.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at a different restaurant. The food is good, but the service is slow. I don't care and I'm having fun!
- 8:00 PM: Evening walk. Back at the gorge, the wind is still there. I'm getting used to it!
- 9:00 PM: Back to my room. This time, I watch a few more episodes of cheese.
- 10:00 PM: Goodnight!
Day 3: Farewell, Hood River! (aka "Never Say Never")
- 8:00 AM: Pack again. This is the first time I am more accustomed to the room and the space.
- 9:00 AM: Check out. Gary the front desk guy, gives me a friendly goodbye.
- 9:30 AM: I revisit the fruit farms to get more supplies for the way back.
- 10:00 AM: Depart from Hood River. The drive back to Portland.
- 12:00 PM: Arrive at PDX, with the plane ride home. This is the end of my trip.
- 2:00 PM: Going back.
- 3:00 PM: I arrive at home.
Reflections:
Hood River, and the Sunset Motel, were a riot. The imperfections, the wind, the cheese-themed television… it all added up to a trip I won't soon forget. Sure, the motel wasn't fancy, but where else would you find such authentic weirdness? It's a place where memories are made. I will return!
Unbelievable Bukit Sangcure Hostel: Indonesia's Hidden Gem!
Sunset Motel: FAQs (Because Seriously, Those Views!)
Okay, Seriously...Are the Views REALLY that good? Like, Instagram-worthy good?
Ugh, FINE. Yeah. They’re ridiculous. Like, you'll be tempted to chuck your phone across the room because you won't be able to properly capture what your eyeballs are soaking in. Think: Mount Hood, shimmering in the distance. The Columbia River, sprawling like a giant blue ribbon. I swear, I saw a bald eagle just STRAIGHT UP staring at me from one of the balcony rooms! (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little... but the views are that distracting!).
Here’s the truth: I drove up there, stressed and ready to whine about traffic. First thing I did? Walked out on the balcony… and just… breathed. My shoulders physically dropped. It’s that kind of good to begin with. You almost feel like you're cheating at life, you know? Like you found a secret level!
Is the Motel… you know… *dated*?
Okay, let's be honest. It's not the Ritz. They're not hiding that classic, retro motel charm. You won't find a heated toilet seat. Probably no turndown service with a little mint on the pillow. And yeah, I’ll admit I walked in and for a *SLIGHT* moment, had a little “Did I take a wrong turn to a time warp?” situation. But that's part of the charm, right?! It's clean, it's comfortable, it's got that basic, old-school motel vibe. Think cozy, rather than "modern minimalist museum" – thank goodness!
I’d pick a slightly-faded-but-clean motel with THAT view over a sterile, cookie-cutter chain any day. My room had a slightly *suspect* floral pattern on the bedspread? Maybe? But hey, who's looking at the bedspread when THE DAMN MOUNTAIN IS RIGHT THERE?
What's the deal with the location? Is it convenient?
YES! Well, mostly. It’s super close to downtown Hood River – like a five-minute drive. Restaurants, breweries, the whole shebang. You can practically smell the hops from your balcony (just kidding… mostly). It’s also really close to the I-84 if you’re road-tripping, so it’s prime for exploring the Gorge.
The only… *tiny* little hiccup? It's on the side of a hill. So, prepare for a small, but manageable, climb from your room to the parking lot. The walk? Not terrible. But if you're loading and reloading luggage? Maybe pack lightly (or bribe your travel buddy).
Any downsides I should know about? Be honest.
Okay, okay, fine. Here’s the slightly less rosy side. First… the internet. It’s… alright. Not blazing fast. Okay, maybe it’s a little slow on the days I was there. If you’re REALLY dependent on streaming and video calls? Might be a little frustrating. But honestly, I was so busy staring at the view, I didn’t even *try* to go online. The internet is for people who haven't seen the view yet!
Oh! And another thing… the sound. It's a motel. A motel near a highway. You'll hear some cars. And you'll *definitely* hear the occasional train. But honestly? It became white noise pretty fast. Now, I am a heavy sleeper, but I was also so blissfully relaxed that I slept like a baby. My friend, who’s a light sleeper, found it a bit bothersome the first night, but she brought earplugs and was fine after that. Bring earplugs. Just in case.
Let's talk about the balcony... Is it as amazing as it sounds? I'M OBSESSED!
Okay, THIS is what I want to talk about. The balcony. My balcony! Oh God, it was... a revelation. I felt like I’d been living in a basement, finally emerging into sunlight. Let me paint you a picture: I got there in the late afternoon. Sun slanting across the mountains. I cracked a beer (because you HAVE to). That first breath... I was ready to scream from happiness, and then almost burst into tears from actual, honest-to-god beauty. I didn't, because I'm a civilized, albeit dramatic, person. But I FELT like it.
I spent, like, an hour there. Just... staring. Watching the windsurfers on the river, the clouds rolling over Hood. The colors! The sky! I am not a poet, but even *I* was finding myself using words like "ethereal" and "breathtaking" – barf, I know. But that the honest truth.
I have a slight confession. I may or may not have gotten slightly sunburned. I forgot sunscreen. Because, you know, I was too engrossed in everything *but* being smart. I’m a genius. A sunburned, happy genius. Totally worth it.
What about breakfast? Or other amenities?
Breakfast is… minimal. There's usually coffee and a few pre-packaged snack items. Think grab-and-go. So, if you're a breakfast person, load up on supplies at a local market beforehand. There are so many GREAT cafes in Hood River – it isn't a huge deal.
Pool? Nope. Gym? Nah. Hot tub? Forget it. The main amenity? The view. Which trumps all, in my very humble opinion. And honestly? You're not going to want to be inside, anyway. You're going to want to be outside, drinking coffee, staring. You’re going to want to be on *your* balcony, becoming one with nature. I'm starting to sound like a cult follower, aren’t I? Oops.
Would you go back? Seriously.
YES. Absolutely. Without a doubt. In a heartbeat. I’m already plotting my return. I’m checking the weather right now! I want to see that sunset again. I want to drink coffee on that balcony again. Look, I've had my share of fancy hotels. And yes, I enjoy a plush robe and a proper espresso machine. But there’s something about the Sunset Motel. It’s… real. It’s honest. It's not trying to be anything it isn't. And that view? That view just wipes away all the anxieties and worries. It’s pure, untainted bliss. Go. Just go. And bring me back a postcard. No,Explore Hotels

